(TV) I'll miss Mr. C but...

...I must admit, hearing of this list's recent playlists and discovering that a lot of us shared a respect for if not passion for Neil Young to be good fodder for discussion. I admire artists like Tom Verlaine and Neil Young who remain idiosyncratic artists true to their inner spirit, but there's not been a lot of proof in the pudding lately for Tom.

I'll throw something out there for potential discussion: The Wonder. I looked for it for years before finally buying over the internet, and when I finally got it, I was hugely disappointed. And when I saw Tom play acoustically at the Paradise in Boston on April 12, 1990, I was also let down that he gave such a lackluster performance. In comparison to acoustic performers such as Richard Thompson, Neil Young, Peter Blegvad and hell, Louden Wainwright III fr crying out loud, Tom lacked charisma and compelling songs. And I have the bootleg of that show (taped poorly, by myself unfortunately) that I've gone back to a number of times thinking I must've been previously wrong.

I say this although I have deep respect for him as an artist. I will now go back to The Wonder and this bootleg and listen again as penance and to see if I have since changed my mind.

Well, there you go, the cat's outta the bag. Now I'll probably be banished or shunned. Or both.

Cheers,

Brian