Re: (TV) Off Topic: "Sense & Sensibility" with martial arts

leo sez:

> movies---a feast for the eyes. It also has the great
> Chou Yun Fat and the serenely beautiful Michelle
> Yeoh.  Very srong female characters (don't let that
> scare you away)---it's "Sense and Sensibility" with
> martial arts.

eesh.  i'm with you all the way here, leo (though i
thought some of the cinematography was too dark), but
every time i hear the "kung fu _sense & sensibility_"
line i cringe.  while china at that point ran on
similar societal rules, jane austen communicated that
women should be seen and not heard, which is quite the
opposite of what the female characters in _crouching
tiger_ do.  where austen would reinforce _the rules_,
the women in _ct/hd_ defied them.  if this makes any
sense...

anyway, i'll raise my glass in a toast to michelle
yeoh.  anyone out there see the film she made with
anita mui and maggie cheung, _the heroic trio_?  step
aside, drew -- *this* is kicking your ass.

--chelsea

=====
chelsea the mod pixie*tugboat@channel1.com
       http://www.pixievision.com
"i'm very happy.  it's the songs that are depressed."
--kristin hersh