Re: (TV) Re: TV Digest V1 #351

In message <004801c0c2e0$9de0eb80$b430f7a5@com>, Emilie Hsu
<ehsu@mindspring.com> writes

>So, can the people who went to ATP clarify whether they thought Tom didn't
>play well or they just thought that Tom was fine but Richard's playing was
>more memorable?

Personally, I'd say Tom would have to have played much, much better than
he did to take the attention off Richard. However, from what I could see
most eyes were locked on Tom even when he wasn't actually doing much and
Richard was ripping up the stage. That's the way it is (or seems to be,
anyway).

And no, Tom didn't play badly, he just didn't play _enough_ and, yes,
Richard's playing was more memorable. In the end, though, it was
Television and I wouldn't want to see them without either Tom or Richard
Or Billy or Fred. No-one Richard's played with that I've heard has ever
pushed him the way Tom did and Jimmy Ripp was, in the end, just the
rhythm guitar player on the Verlaine solo outings.

Buying a ticket for these shows is, in effect, buying part of a myth.
Years of memories, pleasure and excitement that you can't forget when
they step out on stage. I don't think we can really fault people for not
living up to our expectations, can we? Hell, it was still better than
anything I've seen for years and that in itself was worth the price of a
ticket. Richard's emergence as the wonderful rock force that he's become
is a great bonus.