RE: (TV) Bootlegs

Ok pilots, put on your rant-proof goggles...

The issue of licensing and use is a really interesting one to me, but I
think this conversation is (obviously) heavily skewed towards the fans. If I
were Mr. V, I would want control of my catalog. That means not releasing
recordings I might consider sub-par, either on a recording level, or a
performance level. I wouldn't do this to be an ass, but because to lower my
standards to placate a few fans might disappoint others who were used to a
certain quality of recording.

Just because fans like boots, doesn't mean that artists do at all. Live
performance and recording are two different creatures, and plenty of artists
approach them in different ways. Some don't care (see "the Shit Hits the
Fans" by the Replacements, where they released a tape they literally took
out of the hands of a bootlegger, and released it on their own), but many
do. Furthermore, they have a right to! It's their music, no matter how much
we love it and want it, they own it. They get to control it.

Now, for the movie, ownership of the music reproduction and use goes to the
publisher (who sometimes is the label, sometimes is a third party, and
sometimes is the artist), if it's published at all. If it's not, it goes to
the author. Under US copyright law, the second you create something, you own
it legally. So, if you approach anybody, approach Verlaine. But before you
ask him, think about the fact that you are essentially asking him for rights
to something that he never intended to be in the marketplace. I would shy
away from that, personally.

And finally (as if I haven't said ENOUGH ALREADY!), remember that when
publishers hear the word "film" little dollar signs light up their eyes. It
doesn't matter what your budget is, really. What matters is that you could
be the next Robert Rodriguez, and your little film could be distributed by
SKG or WB or some other acronym, and everybody will be RICH RICH RICH! Why
not put an ad in a local weekly for a musician? You'll get free music,
they'll get publicity, and maybe you can find the next great thing! I
recently made a short film where I got original music, and studio time with
an engineer on a PRO TOOLS system donated. They were just excited about the
project.

You may now remove your goggles. Hopefully they are not too muddy.

Martin
martin@rosacordis.com