Re: (TV) Beware of Sales Pitches

X, you are right. Bootlegging is bad. But it's got some grey areas, after all -
haven't you said you own some TV bootlegs yourself?

One argument is that bootleggers are essentially invading the privacy of the
artist. It would be like, oh, I don't know, publicly posting intimate details
about the artist's love life from behind a barrier of anonymity for almost four
years running now?

:^)

Besides, how's this for ironic: Television released a live album this year,
entitled LIVE AT THE ACADEMY NYC (taken from a 1992 show). You could buy this
CD at their 2003 gigs. Since then, you can't buy it anywhere - even if you try
to contact the email address listed on the CD - *except* from the one store in
NYC that is also the single biggest source of 'commercial' Television bootlegs.

Distributing these new CDs can't be *that* hard, can it? Richard Hell, Phil
Manzanera, and Pere Ubu all run little online operations to sell their CDs
(some of which are similar 'official' beat-the-bootlegger operations), to name
just a few.

--Philip