Re: Re: (TV) The Polar Prize

> Marshall Crenshaw is another Abba-admirer. He recorded their "Knowing You,
> Knowing Me" on his live album "My Truck Is My Home." Personally, I don't
> get it.

I quite like Lush's version of "Hey Hey Helen", which is pretty
straight-faced, and I had no idea it was an Abba tune when I first
heard it.  I dunno.  This kind of stuff, '70's soft rock, is really
weird... I missed it when it was popular, and to hear it now, without
any nostalgia factor, it's neither the categorically deathless crap
that some think it is, but nor is it often really very good.  Just
kind of... there.  I kinda have to make the call from song to song.
It all sounds kind of ookie, but there's quite a disparity between
some of the songs which are well-crafted and others which should by
all rights make earnest 4th-grade poetic types cringe with
embarassment.

Remember when all the indie-rockers started pretending to like the
Carpenters?  Whuddup wit dat?  I theorize it was a massive joke
perpetrated by Sonic Youth to make all the other indie bands look like
tools, and it worked.

-Rex

--
"Maybe baby election twelve who I really am!"
-Miranda Mellbye Broome