Re: (TV) patti / tom? Jandek

At 8:00 PM +0100 5/6/05, Joe Thornton wrote:
Maurice, since your knowledge seems to be encyclopedic,

More accurately deep knowledge of almost randomly scattered points.

and since Keiji Haino is a Japanese avant-garde alternative musician, I'm wondering if you're familiar with Ryuichi Sakamoto. (Though you might regard Sakamoto as more mainstream since he won an Oscar for the score of "The Last Emperor".) I think Sakamoto is a genius but I haven't heard most of his vast musical output, and guidance would be appreciated.

I'm not familiar, although I did see the film.

But then I haven't heard Jandek either,

It's something you either really dig, or are really repulsed by.

http://www.tisue.net/jandek/

will give you enough info to start with, I'd think. There are 40 albums and a DVD to choose from. The DVD's worth at least a rental, but maybe only if you're already hooked. I learned some stuff, including that a friend of one of the friends I saw it with was indirectly responsible for the whole Jandek phenomenon, having given him an early positive review that encouraged him to keep on producing music.

nor any Verlaine or Television bootlegs. Russ mentioned the Slims boot and reading Keith's description (www.marquee.demon.co.uk/slims.htm) has made me fiercely curious. (Dare I wade into the ocean of boots?)

By all means, yes!  There are some real treasures in this realm!

And Maurice makes time to play music as well!

I try to! I need to finish up some recording projects, but work and gigs seem to be picking up. After tomorrow evening's set, I have to start doing prep for rehearsals and gigs with some belly dancers...
--

Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/   |   http://onezeromusic.com/