Re: (TV) Semi-OT: Genre of Television? / Prog Rock: Television's millions of new fans?

On Mon, 9 May 2005 11:53:07 -0400
"Casey, Leo J" <Leo.J.Casey@Volpe.dot.gov> wrote:

> a) Given:  Television was never 'progressive rock' in the sense of EL&P,
> Yes,
> Pink Floyd, or Genesis.
>
> b) But couldn't they be classified in the 'better', current sense of the
> word prog rock
> (restoring art to modern rock, allowing innovative musicianship to be
> revered instead
> of reviled [see Joey Ramone quotes below])?

Absolutely.  Television certainly was never "punk" in the Sex Pistols/
Ramones sense of the word.  The song Marquee Moon has a lot more in
common with, say, King Crimson, though without the bombast and excess
that came to define the prog rock concept via bands like Yes and ELP.

> c) Anyone heard any of the 'prog rock' bands groups  mentioned below?

Yep, this is what comes from listening to my son's CD collection!

The Mars Volta and the Trail of Dead are very listenable.