Primitive Stuff / RE: (TV) Link Wray, RIP

Scott wrote:
>EDD ....did an instrumental piece.  Rick Rizzo wrote
>to me later that is was by Link Wray,  I think it was
>called "Rumble".

It might be stretching it to say Link Wray helped
'invent' rock n, roll, but:

"Quite simply, Link Wray invented the power chord ['Rumble',
1958], the major modus operandi of modern rock guitarists.
Listen to any of the tracks he recorded between that landmark
instrumental in 1958 through his Swan recordings in the
early 1960s and you'll hear the blueprints for heavy metal,
thrash, you name it" from: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll

IMHO, always thought Bill Haley and the Comets got too much
credit.  It's usually not who came first, but what you do
with 'it'---that more important.

(I think he was 100% American Indian).  I loved 'Rumble'
for its primitiveness---I still have my copy of the 1958
45 rpm --no I'm not that old, I was into 'howdy Doody'
when it first came out).  He also had another 1958 45 rpm
guitar instrumental called 'Rawhide'  But its tempo was
about 10 times faster than the lumbering 'Rumble'. In the
80's at great parties, I'd often put 'Rawhide' at the end
of a dance tape---invariably it got people jumpin'
around---even many of the crowd who'd spend the whole
party talking in the kitchen and were too self-concious
to dance.

>So it's all six or less degrees of separation in our
>little parochial world.

I'm not psychic but last Wednesday in my rambling
reminiscing on an infamous Cambridge record store:

....when I brought back to the store a Link Wray
compilation vinyl album (had some of his 'hits',
plus his cover of the theme music for the god-awful
late-60s' tv show, "Batman").

I realize it's a parlor game but: Not counting 'Satisfaction'
and "19th Nervous Breakdown" can one tell why it only takes 2
degrees of separation to get from Mick Jagger to Verlaine?

Last but not least, Scott or anyone: I may have asked this
awhile back, but what would be 2 EDD studio albums to begin
with?

	Leo