RE: (TV) maurice rickard, science guy, and, i don't wanna die

At 11:28 AM -0700 4/2/06, robin dunn wrote:
so then i'm imagining:

1)  applying foil to the back of the pickguard and
around the output jack

Well, not encasing the output jack, but just the back of the pickguard and surrounding the hole the output jack goes through. If you do that, when you put the jack back on, it should contact the shielding.

2)  cutting the ground wire and soldering a 0.1uf
capacitor (radio shack?) onto it?  (i'm seeing wire >
capacitor < wire?)

Yep.

my ground wire goes from the back of one of the volume
knobs, into the body of the guitar (apparently into
one of the bridge holes in the body -- so is this
connecting with metal?  i can't see access to it).

That sounds about right. I'm going to guess that you have some slack on that ground wire going into the body, so that'd be OK to cut and wire the capacitor. I think I used a much larger capacitor, as I recall. I'll check on the value later today.

3)  avoiding bathing with the guitar

Check.

4)  also applying foil to the body cavity, using a
gluestick.

Yep!

i'm more likely to be shot for practicing than to be
electrocuted, but don't wanna die for this.

Right. If you're playing in a live situation or a band situation it's more likely that shocks will happen, but it's unlikely to happen at home, unless you're dealing with a home PA or something. (My latest shock, though, was when my EHX tube pre had a screw slip, letting the board touch the chassis. Ouch. Not injurious, but it was rather surprising.)
--

Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/   |   http://onezeromusic.com/