Re: (TV) OT: Slow Music - Robert Fripp & Peter Buck

I enjoyed it. My wife, bless her, is not that big of a fan of avant garde abractions. It was what I expected and more. Leah, on the other hand described it like "being tied down and tickled while someone lowered a horse over you with it's hoof just an inch from your nose" ... or something like that. It was easy to hear and tell what Fripp was doing... what Peter Buck was doing was much more difficult to discern. The bass player, do not know his name, was excellent playing a stand up acoustic bass. He added the most melody to the ensemble. In retro, a Television or Tom Verlaine concert would be far more memorable. But I still liked it and the Aladin Theater here in Portland is a fun place to hear/see music played.
- Russ

-- Original Message --
From: Jesse Hochstadt <Jesse_Hochstadt@brown.edu>
To: tv@obbard.com
Send: 05-06-2006
Subject: Re:  (TV) OT: Slow Music - Robert Fripp & Peter Buck

Bill Rieflin's "mission statement" on "The Group" part of
the website
makes him sound like a serious Fripp acolyte:

"... use of space, or intentional not-playing. here, space is not
empty, but filled with listening. it is active. openness and
stillness become a part of the musical vocabulary....
listening/not-playing is, at least, of equal value to listening/playing.

"... in slow music, the default contributions are to rest and listen,
rather than to play. this puts playing into a new context....

"i think that the key to all of this is active listening - for both
the audience and the peformer."

I remember reading that in League of Crafty Guitarists performances
(or was it just during rehearsals and teaching?), Fripp would have
one of the members sit and play nothing. That members' job was to
"represent the silence," or something like that.

- Jesse