(TV) Tom Article in today's NY Times

May 18, 2006

The Return of Tom Verlaine: A Reluctant Guitar God Makes Up for Lost Time
By BEN SISARIO

Lately Tom Verlaine has been reading a lot of biographies of composers, "just to find out what kind of lives these guys lived," he said. He has enjoyed Beethoven's spiritual development and Erik Satie's comic absurdism, but his favorite is Morton Feldman, the New York avant-gardist known for his celestially slow pieces.

"He has this story about how he knew he could become a composer when he found the right chair," Mr. Verlaine said with a throaty laugh as he ate a late-afternoon omelet recently at a diner near the Metropolitan Museum of Art. "I think he found it on the street."

When asked how his own life should appear in a biography, Mr. Verlaine thought for a moment before offering his preferred self-deprecating epigram: "Struggling not to have a professional career."

And he's succeeding pretty well at that goal, if recent years are any guide. Mr. Verlaine, guitarist and songwriter for the 1970's band Television, has kept a low profile since he became the unlikely guitar god of the punk era, playing not rapid-fire bursts but, in counterpoint with his band mate Richard Lloyd's guitar, sharp, sinuous improvisations more akin to free jazz than the Ramones. Patti Smith once described his sound as "like a thousand bluebirds screaming."

Tonight and tomorrow he will make a rare appearance at the Bowery Ballroom, and he has two new solo albums, his first in 14 years.

Bettina Richards, the chief executive of Thrill Jockey Records, which last month released the albums b "Around" and "Songs and Other Things" b said it took her five years to persuade him to record again.

"I liked recording," Mr. Verlaine said, "but I wasn't much in the mood to do it until a couple years ago."

In an hourlong conversation that followed a brisk visit to the Met to see works by Samuel Palmer, the 19th-century English landscape painter influenced by William Blake, Mr. Verlaine spoke about art and music with the wide-ranging zeal of a longtime cultural omnivore. What he called the "nature ecstasy" of Palmer's paintings brought to mind the work of Charles Burchfield; a pre-Raphaelite work spotted in one gallery led to a recommendation of Edward Burne-Jones.

Mr. Verlaine recounted his life in sound from the time he heard a symphony at age 4 b "I remember being totally transported by it, right away thinking that this is what I want to do" b through an education in classical music and his discovery of jazz. Recently he has been listening intently to the music of Hildegard von Bingen, a 12th-century nun who had mystical visions, and he liberally name-dropped his favorite 20th-century composers: Penderecki, Feldman, Hovhaness, Ligeti.

But he had little to say about rock 'n' roll. He was inspired to play it after hearing the Rolling Stones and the Yardbirds in the 60's, but he has not listened to much recent rock at all. And though his clean, razor-cut guitar style has had a big influence on new groups like the Strokes b and in the spacious, noirish pieces on "Around," a link to contemporary experimental groups like Tortoise is clear b Mr. Verlaine says he does not hear a similarity. "It's nice when people say nice things about you," he said, "but I don't always know what they're talking about."

Graying and thin at 56, with eyes that seem distant and furtive, he still bears a resemblance to his lanky, boyish portrait on the cover of Television's 1977 album "Marquee Moon." After Television broke up in 1978, Mr. Verlaine began a solo career, though after a while tired of the routine.

"When I first started touring," he said, "having to get up at 7 a.m. to get on buses or go to airports after playing all night, I thought: 'This is terrible. This is not what music is about.' It dawned on me that I had to make a decision: Am I going to go along with this whole thing or not? I just said nah. I decided against the whole 'careering' thing."

Instead he has made do with a light concert calendar b the reunited Television still plays several weeks a year b and eagerly took on film scores and unconventional projects. In the 90's he was commissioned to compose and perform soundtracks to silent films by Man Ray, Fernand LC)ger and others, and was invigorated by the challenge: "I wanted to try to figure out what the director intended and come up with a mixture of composed and improvised themes. It took a long time to do, but it turned out to be a really great gig. I wish I could to it every week."

Of his two new albums, "Songs and Other Things" is densely composed and sung in his trademark nervous tenor. "Around" is made up of instrumentals, most of them pensive and leisurely; the album begins with a slow, luxurious bath of guitar in "The O of Adore," which in its structure and melody resembles an Indian raga.

"He plays a lot like he is," said Lenny Kaye, the guitarist and writer, who has played with him recently in Ms. Smith's group. "There is a certain sense of privacy. He wants you to listen to the music, but doesn't want you to probe into the personal character. He really does believe that the music has a life of its own. In his mastery it is a real universe."