Re: (TV) Big Star/Flaming Lips

No matter how hard the Lips and that fucking car commercial tried to make "Do You Realize" redundent - it survived. It's a great song and sentiment. Too bad, the Lips (i.e. Everybody) can't hit that High a little more often.

  M.

Jay <piazzasanmarco@yahoo.com> wrote:
  in ATL

I missed it(!!), but here's a friend's brief report:

Guess I'll start at the beginning. Auer and
Stringfellow show up in dyed black hair, giant
sunglasses and full black velvet jackets. Yes, it's
90 degrees and the sun is blaring. They anonymously
work on their gear, getting set up. No roadies except
for a drum tech. Chilton shows up in white Levis, a
white izod with collar up, and a white Burberry
jacket. He at least loses the jacket while he gets
set up. This goes on for 20 minutes with maybe 40
people knowing who's up there. Jody comes on stage
with his black drumming gloves, black tshirt, black
jeans, and sunglasses. The promoters talk to Alex and
Jody for two minutes, Jody leaves and Alex sits down
at the back of the stage and chain smokes a pack of
cigarettes. They had apparently been told the
promoters were going to delay starting until 6:45,
which is when they started. Well, they played
everything you'd want (Feel (sung just wonderfully by
Stringfellow), In The Street, Don't Lie To Me), plus
some that just made you shake your (my) head and smile
and say wow - Thirteen, Thank You Friends, I Am The
Cosmos (!), and Ballad Of El Goodo (which Chilton
introduced by remarking that he wrote it, what now, 40
years ago, about not wanting to be drafted to Vietnam
- then something to the effect that there are hundreds
of Vietnamese who are now thankful for his not going).
Covers were good - T.Rex Baby Strange and Kinks Til
the End of the Day. Basically the set from the
Columbia - Live CD from the 90s. The only glitch at
all was Auer's guitar completely dying about 3/4
through the set, which Chilton used to break into
September Gurls while Auer was crouched over
frantically working on getting his back-up guitar
plugged in and in synch. Chilton smiling all the way
through getting to play it by himself!

Flaming Lips was another story altogether. Mix in
Pink Floyd / Peter Gabriel / Rundgren, add more acid,
add more aliens, add more Santa Clauses, add more toy
instruments and pornography, add covers of Bohemian
Rhapsody as the second song out of the gate and War
Pigs as the single song encore and inhale deeply.
Most excellent.

Do You Realize - that you have the most beautiful face
Do You Realize - we're floating in space Do You
Realize - that happiness makes you cry Do You Realize
- that everyone you know someday will die

And instead of saying all of your goodbyes - let them
know You realize that life goes fast It's hard to make
the good things last You realize the sun doesn't go
down It's just an illusion caused by the world
spinning round

http://lpe.accessatlanta.com/gallery/view/music/concerts/0506/soco/