(TV) Joanna N

I've never understood why Joanna Newsom gets lumped into Freak-Folk (Vashti Bunyan, ugh.) JN's stuff reminds me more of Captain Beefheart or even Mark E Smith, than Judy Collins!
  I saw her perform her new album 'Ys' in it's entirety a couple of weekends ago, with a band specially formed for her current tour; accordion, percussion, various strings and background vocals - sort of a boneyard orchestra - brilliant stuff - I have to say, I prefer this sound to the orchestral ones on the record.
  She did the mini-epic 'Sawdust and Diamonds' solo, as she does on the album - and you could have heard a pin drop - the Marquee Moon of Joanna Newsom tunes!
  The accordionist & musical saw player is from a band called Man Man, who are high up on my list to check out, now.