(TV) "A spare 80 minutes"

Lately I've been listening a lot to this OOP double LP of Ali Akbar Khan on sarod, accompanied by Pandit Mahapurush Misra on tablas. Anyone whose ears perk up a bit when someone mentions "raga-like" (thinking, perhaps, of Tom's extended improvs) would do well to check out this actual raga--very TV-fan-friendly, I think:

http://magicofjuju.blogspot.com/2006/10/spare-eighty-minutes.html

These two also teamed up for a couple LPs under Mahapurush Misra's name, which feature him more, and have some mind-blowing drumming on them--or at least the earlier one blew my mind, coming out as it did in 1966, and sounding rather like IDM/electronica in places:

http://magicofjuju.blogspot.com/2006/09/we-have-only-begun-to-learn-how-much.html

--

Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/   |   http://onezeromusic.com/