Re: (TV) Rainy Day / Soul Food Chitlins

On 3/20/07, BlackMonk <BlackMonk@email.msn.com> wrote:

> > Just to see if anyone read this far:  I am probably the only person left
> > in
> > the universe, who thinks Alex Chilton and Big Star are over-rated.
>
> Granted, I'm not that familiar with their catalog. I've just got the three
> ryko albums that came out in the early 90s (Sister Lovers, Live, and the
> Chris Bell solo album), but the only one that struck me on first listen
> was
> Chris Bell's album. Actually, "I Am The Cosmos" was the only thing that
> really struck me-though that one IS a great song-, but, to be fair, Sister
> Lovers did grow on me.

Oh, hit the twofer of the first two Big Star records, for sure.  Much more
like the Bell material, and much more immediately accessible.  Just don't
freak out when one of the songs turns out to have been the theme to a sitcom
which came into existence, flourished, was cancelled, and provided Demi
Moore with a husband all a couple of decades after it was originally
recorded.  (You may already know that from the live record, though).

Bonus Rainy Day-related content:  also contains a song later covered by The
Bangles!

-Rex