(TV) A message from Richard

Dear Marquee Moon mailing list members:

First of all, thank you for your continued support of our band and its members. Although I read the list from time to time, and I notice it is a worship altar for the works of Tom Verlaine, I have never minded, because for 34 years within Television, I practiced a kind of magical invisibility -- you could look at me on stage and think that what I was doing was being done by Tom. Of course, I took my own solos etc., but nonetheless I practiced a real yogic invisibility so that the band would have one leader and one central visionary.

A man cannot ride two horses. I am a great believer in my newest record which is about to come out, and I think it is as important a record as anything ever released -- not more important, but equal to absolutely anything you can name in rock-and-roll history. It deserves my full attention and support.

I'm going to ask the mailing list members a question. It's a rhetorical question, and thereafter I will answer it myself: have any of you ever made a New Year's resolution? Have any of you that have made a New Year's resolution kept your promise to yourself for the entire year? I dare say that not many of you can answer yes to this. Well, I made a vow in 1973 to subsume my will and my own personal charisma behind Tom, in order that Television have one face and one leader showing to the public. At times this vow was very difficult on me. I suffered public embarrassment and had to hide my own gregariousness and generosity behind a band identity that was nick-named "the ice kings of rock."

Now that I have announced my severance from any involvement in the band Television, the other three are free to get a fourth member should they like, and continue under the name. That was our original agreement and I stand by. I am a man of my word. I gave my word to myself and I kept my vow or 35 years. Now I am released from that vow and can reveal my own talents and force. I hope you will join me on an exciting adventure, which is more social phenomenon than musical, the music just being a part of my plans to conquer the earth and make the earthlings be nice to one another.

Please refrain from mentioning the name of my forthcoming record. Please do not mention the phrase. This will assist me in my well thought about promotional campaign. There will be no advance copies sent to journalists. There will be small listening parties and the record will be being played at my shows. But if you do not get a copy directly from me, you don't get one.

Sincerely yours,
Richard