Re: (TV) OT: Tech Qs

Leo Casey wrote:
1) If I hook up my home hi-fi (stereo) and run a ground wire from my amp (or
turntable!) to the little screw that is used to attach the cosmetic,
rectangular-plate to the wall-electrical outlet(s), will this ground my amp
(or turntable)?

Is your house using two-prong wiring only? Or is your stereo two-prong-only? I can't see why you'd need to do all this, unless you're getting a lot of hum.

What kind of tuner/amp? Solid state or vacuum tube? Two or three prong? How old is it?

If you're using just the turntable, you'd want a phono preamp, and that should have the little grounding screw contact on it.

Or is the answer no, and I need to shut-off all the power in my house, and
then remove the wall outlet receptacle-box and rewire my ground wire to the
ground wire inside the wall-outlet box inside the wall?

That seems rather extreme. I have to ask what isn't working when you plug the stereo in the usual way, without all this extra effort?

2) Independent of (1) above but related: If a piece of metal (e.g., a screw or little bolt) is attracted to a magnet
(e.g., refrigerator or 'toy'-magnet) can I conclude that this screw/bolt can
conduct electricity?

Not exactly. Two counterexamples: aluminum foil is non-ferrous, and so non-magnetic, but conducts just fine. From the other side, if you have a magnet that's powerful enough, it might attract something with a ferrous core, though that core could be surrounded by an insulator of some kind.

The only sure measurement would be to use an ohmmeter to see if the surface is conductive.

--

Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/   |   http://onezeromusic.com/