Re: (TV) Rush To Judgment / Radiohead

It's funny how some music after all these years still strikes a nerve.

The logical part of me says that I am being overly critical of Rush et
al -- hell, I like all sorts of garbage.  Why can't I finally open up
to something like Rush?  I mean, heaven knows they are accomplished
musicians -- doesn't that count for anything?

But then I think, well yeah sure -- but every guy and his dog is an
accomplished musician these days.  It's what one does with it that
counts.  I'm down with all the appeggios, modes and agonizing
virtuosity, but none of that means squat unless the end product moves
me.  And with Rush, nothing ever did, as the hard sell always got in
the way.

Richard, I think your post captures sums it up nicely:  "...I'm sure
they're great musicians... and know that just 'cause I don't like
something doesn't mean it isn't good. BUT, I just never, ever, in any
way thought they were cool. And for me, that matters."

Here here !  To me, Rush just always seemed to be missing the coolness
gene;  that, or the cool they do possess is undecodable to me, not
unlike how frat parties, beer bongs, IROC Cameros, letter jackets and
date rape is cool.

But they are good musicians, I'll grant them that.

-A