(TV) Interesting mentions of Tom Verlaine

The photographer/artist Susan Hiller, who did the artwork for Flash Light,
refers to Tom in this interview:
http://www.qandamagazine.com/Issue-1/susan-hiller

Quote:

Q. If you were to ask any two questions of any two living people, whose
work/life you admire, what would they be and whom would you ask?
A. I'd like to ask artist Tom Phillips, whom I've never met - What's the best
piece of work you've ever made? Is it also your favourite piece? What's your
favourite work by anyone else? And a musician friend, Tom Verlaine, the same.

Hiller has an exhibition in London at present, featured here:
www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/features/seeing-but-not-believin
g-the-photography-of-susan-hiller-1005500.html

And Alan Licht, featured on this interesting website:
http://www.ubu.com/sound/licht.html

Quote:
"Over the past two decades, guitarist Alan Licht has worked with a veritable
who's who of the experimental world, from free jazz legends (Rashied Ali,
Derek Bailey) and electronica wizards (Fennesz, Jim O'Rourke) to turntable
masters (DJ Spooky, Christian Marclay) and veteran Downtown New York composers
(John Zorn, Rhys Chatham). Licht is also renown in the indie rock scene as a
bandleader (Run On, Love Child) and supporting player to cult legends like Tom
Verlaine, Arthur Lee, Arto Lindsay, and Jandek. He has released five albums of
compositions for tape and solo guitar, and his sound and video installations
have been exhibited in the U.S. and Europe. With Sonic Youth's Lee Ranaldo, he
founded Text of Light, an ongoing ensemble which performs freely improvised
concerts alongside screenings of classic avant garde cinema..."

There are impressive music/sound clips on that page...

I note that Derek Bailey and Fennesz are among the musicians who have
collaborated with David Sylvian, another of my favourites. I mused before on
whether Verlaine might be an admirer of Sylvian. And of course Sylvian did a
lot of work with Robert Fripp, who, we're told, once wanted to join
Television...

--JoeT

+++++