Re: (TV) The best album of all time

"or maybe people are just idiots."

Could be.

Or, it could be we're in danger of missing The Next Big Thing.

In 1977, there was this guy down the hall I knew who had this cushy
job reviewing new albums for Boston University's student newspaper.  I
remember him one day coming in scowling, with this stack of new
records he had just received for review that were, in his opinion, so
pathetic as to be utterly unworthy of his time.  I think his comment
was "Here, I know you go for this kind of shit" (he was actually being
nice;  we had an *arrangement*...)  As I recall the top 5 lps on the
stack were Talking Heads 77, Never Mind the Bollocks, something by
Blondie, something else by P-Funk, and (of course) Marquee Moon.

The guy could never quite see the value in the new stuff, and as a
result he never saw the tsunami that was headed toward him (like NYC,
punk hit Boston early and with quite a wallop).  Within 9 months he
was out of a job, wondering what had happened, and still scowling at
how this new music warranted any column-inches at all...

I often think about how if the guy had only had a more open mind, he
might still be reviewing records for a student newspaper to this
day...

-A