Re: (TV) Joanna Gruesome

I'm with you there Robin. I'm ambivalent about the earlier releases but this one is a thing of wonder. Beautifully written and constructed and how many artists these days can sustain a triple album with no filler? Also to my ears the screechy warblings have been replaced by a much more mature and softer vocal style - reminds me of early Kate Bush a bit. With this one and The Knife's Darwin 'opera' (Tomorrow in a Day) its good to see heavyweight albums of substance can still be made.

Have only listened a couple of times but Nels Cline new one is also sounding mighty fine. Can be streamed here for anyone who is interested:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=125423842

Graham

robin dunn wrote:
i can't account for andy samberg (although he may actually be better than bill callahan), but "have one on me" is...marvelous.  i know it's not for everyone.  but it is smart, dense, and, imo, gorgeous.  and no one else is doing anything like it.  head and shoulders above anything else out so far this year, from where i'm standing.

and what television fan is complaining about irritating vocals!

Looking forward to the 3 cd set of
chalk board vocals and harp playing oming soon / already
here by her Gruesomeness.  Must be being in love with
the talented Andy Samberg that got the creative juices.