(TV) Tomspotting

This may be par for the course in NY, but having recently returned after 15
years living elsewhere, thought I'd mention it: I saw Tom outside the Strand
Bookstore the other day when I was waiting to get in to sell some books. I'm 99%
sure it was him: I saw him recently play at Galapagos as part of the DUMBO Arts
Festival, and so I have a pretty good image of what he looks like nowadays. He
was dressed in a black shirt, black pants, and plain black shoes, and was going
through the $1 book racks. At one point he was chatting in a friendly fashion
with one of the Strand employees. The only thing I could hear him say was some
reference to a guy who "owns a large chain of steakhouses" - seriously.

At first Tom looked like he was going through the books very systematically,
lifting a bunch of books at once and moving them over into an adjacent column
when, I assumed, he'd finished thumbing through them. But after a while it
seemed to me that he was re-racking the books. Does anyone know if Tom by any
chance _works_ at the Strand? Seems unlikely, but it's my impression a lot of
artists and musicians have worked at the Strand for a long time - and Tom has to
make money somehow when he's not recording his customary three albums a year and
going on tours of Latin America, Europe and Japan with huge light shows and
dazzling pyrotechnics.

Anyway, by the time I got out of the Strand he was nowhere to be seen.

- Jesse