Re: (TV) (OT):Tech Q on optimally converting vinyl to digital

Hi Leo,

It's been a few years since I ripped vinyl to my PC, but I did this method
essentially:

"Q:  Would I get better digital audio-quality if I have my turnable connected to
my amplifier
(also a good one with a phono inputs) and connected the amplifier's stereo
Tape-Monitor-Outs to
my PC's Line-In jack  using a Y-shaped audio patch cable with 3.5mm (1/8") mini
stereo plug?"

By "Y-shaped audio patch cable", I had an RCA to 1/8" jack converter that I
plugged into my soundcard on my PC. The RCA cables were plugged into the Tape
"outs" on my amplifier, which kept the volume on the amplifier from playing any
excessive "pre-amp" type role in my recording.

I know there are all sorts of sound cards out there, but I think a basic one is
just fine. The much bigger variables in terms of sound are the quality of your
stylus (and amplifier, if it presents any sort of hum/technical background/etc)
and quality of the vinyl. I've never used one of those USB converters, but I
doubt they present any better audio than your amplifier.

Finally, on my PC I used "CD Wave", a simple piece of shareware that captured
the entire recording to a single file, and then let me carefully set (and
create) track splits in the appropriate places.

Have fun!

--Phil