Re: Quite a Statement / RE: (TV) OT: Luna & Dean Wareham

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 7:33 PM, Phil Obbard <pobbard@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Anyway: I don't think Luna's recorded output is superior to Television's
> and/or
> the Velvet Underground. I think it's good but very inconsistent; I think
> Wareham
> had a more limited set of musical ideas than Verlaine or Reed/Cale and
> stretched
> out over 7 Luna albums it wears thin.

For that very reason I guess I sometimes felt they were TOO consistent.
 Wareham was engagingly relaxed and playful, which was cool, but again, in
most Galaxie 500 songs he sings like his very life depended on it-- listen
to "Tugboat Captain", which I just assume is titled that because of Sterling
Morrison, he just sounds like he's going to die on that one, which is why it
feels like a good deal of a comedown from that intensity to deadpanning "Is
there a doctor in the House of Pancakes?"  Similarly, he's obviously a much
better player in Luna, and they have that great interplay, but it doesn't
pack the visceral string-bending-for-dear-life punch of the primitive leads
on something like "Fourth of July".

Of course this is all relative.  Amongst another group of people with less
refined tastes I might be calling Luna one of the best guitar bands of the
'90s, well ahead of any of the grunge clowns, and opining that they recorded
the only version of "Sweet Child O' Mine" worth hearing.

-Rex