(TV) OT: Please explain to me the appeal of Jeff Mangum

I don't get Jeff Mangum, I don't like Neutral Milk Hotel - I used to
have their opus album and I listened to it several times - and it has
never added up to anything to me. I like avant garde stuff: Beefheart,
Fripp, Gang of Four - Television - but I just don't hear anything
special in Jeff Mangum . Please educate me - tell me where I'm wrong -
gently - because I suspect something is there - but I don't hear it.