Re: Yikes! / RE: Q on '(I Thought) You Wanted To Know' [?!!?] / RE: (TV) More TV-related cover versions

"(I Thought) You Wanted to Know" actually plays a role in Television's 1978
 breakup. Lloyd had written, recorded, and produced the track almost single
-handedly, but couldn't release it as a solo single because of his existing
 contract with Elektra as part of Television. So he had Chris Stamey re-rec
ord the vocals. The dB's didn't really exist yet -- Peter Holsapple wasn't
even a member of the band -- so for the b-side Stamey got Will Rigby and an
d Gene Holder to record his own composition, "If And When". (The dB's debut
 LP wouldn't appear for 3 more years).

That's also why "(I Thought)
You Wanted to Know" has not yet, to date, appeared on any dB's compilatio
n, but "If And When" has. That being said, it does sound like as much of a
dB's song (songwriting-wise) as anything they did themselves.

I wonder
 how things might have played out for the dB's if Lloyd hadn't offered the
song to Stamey, or if Lloyd had just kept it for ALCHEMY a year later.

--Phil

On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 11:12 PM, Leo Casey <Le