Re: They'll Be Selling 'em Like Hotcakes! / RE: (TV) Short Rip interview

On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 11:42:08 -0400
"Leo Casey" <LeoCasey@comcast.net> wrote:

> Just for the record   :>), that was Rip (or the article's author's ) quote
> on Tom being a prolific writer, not my words.

> "You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it
> means."

That "you" was not meant as you as in Leo - it's a quote.  I can't agree
with Jimmy on this.  Steve Allen was prolific.  Bob Dylan is prolific.
Tom.... less so.

It's exciting that there's a buch of stuff recorded.  I fear that Tom
will never allow them to see the light of day, though.  As someone who
does a little sound recording/engineering/mixing, I can attest that a
recording is never really complete in that there's always something else
to fiddle with.  Sometimes, though, you just have to stick a fork in it and
call it done.  I can see Tom having a complete King Crimson Indiscipine(*)
experience with his music, except maybe for the final acceptance!

I've always been more in the Nick Lowe vein of bashing it out, getting it
to sound as good as I can and then moving on, rather than an Alan Parsons
or Steely Dan approach of tweezing it until it's sonic wallpaper.

(*)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmvA7oWGb40