Re: (TV) Frisell

Bill was great at the UCLA Harry Smith Project show. I saw Thursday night,
which was without Richard Thompson, but he wasn't missed. Initial backing
band was Frisell - guitar, Smokey Hormell - guitar & banjo, Richard Greene -
fiddle, Garth Hudson - keys (incl accordion), Ralph Carney - horns, jew's
harp, etc, Eric Mingus - bass, DJ Bonebrake- drums & ?-drums & percussion,
with the opening tunes by the duo of Todd Rungren & Robin Holcomb. Highlights
were The Folksmen (the Spinal Tap guys in true old Kingston Trio style, doing
a singalong folk version of Start Me Up), Marianne Faithful (how's this for a
line-up - Marianne singing John The Revelator with Carney on trombone, David
Johanssen on harp (well, gotta say harmonica, cuz Richard Greene had a string
quartet that had a stringed harp player), & background vocals by Rundgren,
Steve Earle & Beck. David Thomas stole the show - how about a version of
Fishin' Blues with David, Greene's string quartet, Van Dyke Parks on piano &
Percy Heath on bass? My other fave part was Kate & anna McGarrigle with Elvis
Costello on guitar. Anybody tape this???? David led the all-star final tune,
a super verson of Furry Lewis's Kassie Jones, after which Rundgren came out
with a mandolin & led everyone with a definitely unrehearsed version of the
Fugs' Wide Wide River (River Of Shit), ending with a long Garth Hudson solo
improv on pipe organ!

best,
GaryM