Re: (TV) Go Betweens

I'll admit to not knowing the Go Betweens as well as I should. But lately in the "They should have been stars" category, I've been thinking of (and listening to) Moby Grape. Their lack of success may be explainable, though: The record company, presented with an album full of singles, released five at once with the result that DJs didn't know which one to play, and didn't play any. But man, what a good debut album. And there are some Verlaine-ish lines being played among the triple-lead guitars, but I'm not sure who among them can claim credit.

Spiralling further off topic, Seam's _The Pace Is Glacial_ should have spawned a hit in 1998. And I've been listening to some astonishing pop by some college kids from Harrisonburg, VA. The band is called We Are Vikings, with the obligatory self-titled debut. The CD is just two of them playing all the instruments, but live with the amps cranked, and the two singers harmonizing at the top of their lungs (three vocalists when I saw them--one was a guest), the band is an experience. Okay, so they don't really solo, but the songs are good, and if people can't be roused by a power pop band writing good melodies and singing harmonies, well, I don't know what this world is coming to. The Sauce Records catalog (the label) is available by emailing cornhoser@aol.com, according to the CD's back cover.

I haven't done anything to alleviate the boredom, but now your office tasks may seem meaningful in comparison.

-Maurice