From: MICHAEL CARLUCCI [mailto:subterraneannyc@mindspring.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2000 6:05 PM
To: tv@obbard.com
Subject: Re: (TV) Mr. Obbard wrote:

>Just discovered
>"Another Girl, Another Planet"
>>>

>Now you need to discover the band; The Only Ones are something special
>

>    Now there's a band that went completely unnoticed. It's a damn shame
too.
These guys had it all. In their short lived career they made 3 magnificent
LP's
and a handful of singles. One single that brings tears to my eyes is the
single
with Peter Perrett and Pauline Murray doing the song "Fools". What a great
song.
Their last LP "Baby's Got A Gun" went straight to the toilet the week it was
released. There were more promos around then stock copies. Too bad cause it
was their
finest LP to date. Then there were the "Even Serpents Shine" and the 1st LP,
the
latter with Another Girl, Another Planet which has some of the finest chord
changes known to man. Peter Perrett was/is one of Rock & Roll's  greatest
unsung
heroes. When the Only One's appeared at max's kansas City around the time of
their 3rd album there might've been 30 people in the audience. What a cryin'
shame.
As far as I know there K only releases of their 3 official LP's plus a
fabulous
live album. For anyone whoever cared about good, understated guitar music,
this
is your band. Thanks, M T C

>BTW, upon repeated listenings to "Other Voices" (the new Patti Smith song
with Tom
on lead guitar), it has to be one of Tom's most un-inspired moments. As
mentioned
earlier, if I didn't know that it was Tom Id've never guessed it. It may as
well
have been Oliver or Lenny playing the solo. I pains me to say this. Despite
this,
the song is one of Patti's finest in many years.