Re: (TV) Only Ones

Do you know anything more about this album? I'd always assumed that apart from
'Silent Night' it was mostly their early demos, because a lot of the tracks
feature people who weren't in the standard lineup (notably one of the guys
from Squeeze), and also because it sounds much more derivative of Dylan, Reed
etc. than their 'proper' records.
For the truly sad Only Ones completist (such as me) there is now a CD reissue
of the 'legendary lost album' by England's Glory, Perrett's pre-Only Ones act.
(Unlike most aspiring musicians, Perrett was very well off thanks to his
drug-dealing activities, so he decided to break into the business by hiring a
band and studio and recording an album himself. That's class.) Sadly, it's not
really very good -- most of the songs sound like they could be off a
third-rate Lou Reed album, and the playing is quite flaky.
It's the existence of this album that makes me thing most of 'Remains' must be
early material -- 'Remains' sounds like a sort of intermediate stage between
England's Glory and the mature Only Ones.
Sam

> On the subject of the Only Ones, there's a great rarities album to look out
> for (long-deleted, though, I'm sure). With the unfortunate title of
> 'Remains', it contains material from what would have been another studio
> album had the band stayed together, together with unreleased material from
> other sessions. Some of it is magnificent and all of it is good.
>
> Tim

Sam Inglis
Assistant Editor,
Sound On Sound Magazine.