Re: (TV) Blank Generation CD

As Steve pointed out, I asked this question on richardhell.com. Roy later said
(at http://www.hell.hostaxis.com/cgi-bin/showmessage.asp?messageID=333) "The
new British re-release of the Blank cd comes out from ESP there at the end of
February, but it doesn't look like it differs from the existing American
Warners' package."

Yeah, I really dislike the cover art (front and back) on the Sire CD reissue.
The alternate version of "Down at the Rock 'n' Roll Club" is terrific, but so
was the original (and the depth of the rearrangement between the two versions
builds my respect for the Voidoids - esp. Hell and Quine - as a musical unit)
and replacing the original track is basically revisionism, which drives
anal-retentive history majors like me crazy. I first heard BLANK GENERATION on
CD 6+ years ago, but only heard the original "Down at the Rock 'n' Roll Club"
two months ago!

My dream reissue of BLANK GENERATION, a la the Elvis Costello reissues:
1. The 10 original tracks from the 1977 LP
2. Ten seconds of silence
3. "You Gotta Lose" (1977 version from the Sire sampler), "I'm Your Man", "All
the Way" (bonus tracks on current CD)
4. Fifteen seconds of silence
5. "Down at the Rock 'n' Roll Club" (alt. version from current CD), "Love Comes
in Spurts" (alt. version from Sire sampler), and any other significantly
different takes of stuff sitting in the vaults. I think the LP takes of both of
these tracks are fantastic, but the rearrangements heard here are definitely
eye-opening, and arguably just as good.

This CD would then cover everything substantial recorded by Richard Hell & the
Voidoids during the BLANK GENERATION sessions.

Hmmmm. THE BLANK GENERATION SESSIONS - maybe a job for RhinoHandmade.com?

--Philip