Re: (TV) Keith, Sterling, and Fred "Sonic" Smith

I would argue that each of these three guitarists had at least two tricks.

Neil Young:
     - Great electric player
     - Great acoustic player

Johnny Thunders:
     - Could bend the third string up 'til it matched the 2nd string
     - Could sometimes do this standing up

Mick Ronson:
     - Oh OK, maybe one really good trick.

- Jeff Strell

Sam Inglis <sam@sospubs.co.uk> wrote:
Some of my favourite guitarists are one trick ponies! How about Johnny
Thunders, Mick Ronson, Neil Young... they all had only one trick, it just
happened to be a very good one.
And I'm not so sure about the importance of vibrato. It's a very blues thing,
and I kind of like the people who got away from that a bit -- Andy Gill, for
instance, doesn't really do vibrato, and Quine doesn't seem to use it much. I
don't remember Richard Thompson doing it very much either.
One of the best guitarists around at the moment, I think, is Graham Coxon
from
Blur. Very imaginative rhythm playing, and crosses over into solos in clever
ways.
sam

> >     very easily, those trills and pull off's that Kramer does are a cheap
> > attempt at being a speed demon. Those are fundamental tricks that every
> > beginner
> > guitarist learns. No more interesting than say, Alvin Lee
> > or Mark farner from Grand Funk. Wayne is/was a one trick pony. He used
those
> > trills and pull off's to death. Give me Fred "Sonic" Smith anyday. Not
even
> > remotely close to the vibratos of Green, Hendrix, and even Richard Lloyd.
> > If you listen to Wayne Kramer, he has no vibrato in his guitar playing.
In