Re: (TV) oops--try this

Yikes, another Buck Dharma fan!  Give this little guy his props!  And how
about this quadruple bill at the Academy of Music, acutally witnessed by a
young teenaged me on New Year's Eve heading into 1974:

Kiss
Teenage Lust (?!?)
Iggy and the Stooges
BOC

The following year, at the same joint, I believe the bill was
Television/Patti, but naturally I somehow missed that one...

- Jeff Strell

Monica Kendrick <mkendrick@chicagoreader.com> wrote:
Wow, I actually don't feel a yawning generation chasm like I usually do
when I see these things. I even _know_ some of these guys. (And they are
all guys, aren't they? The more things change....Where's Tara Key?)

Now, some points:

1.I haven't listened to much Dream Theater, but this John Petrucci must be
some hot cat to be both #75 AND #77.
2. This would account for the vast injustice of Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser
falling just short of the Top 100. I would fix that RIGHT away. "#38"
didn't name his new band after a classic Buck showcase tune for nothin'
3. I respect the audacity any listmaker with the cajones to rank Duane
Denison above Keith Richards, even if I don't agree with it.
4. No one should ever assume that Grubbs plays all the cool guitar parts on
the Gastr del Sol records. Live, O'Rourke could smoke him eight rounds out
of ten, and keep the stamina to play a duo set with Fahey afterwards. Yeah,
yeah, Squirrelbait--but just give it to Bob Mould or the guy from Naked
Raygun, that's who they stole it from anyway.
5. The funniest guitar moment I witnessed in the last year was when
Tortoise was Tom Ze's backing band for a tour. One of Ze's songs required
Jeff Parker to play the "Smoke on the Water" riff.
6. The funniest guitar moment I heard about last year but didn't witness
was the whole Royal Trux Japanese tour, in which "#56" was temporarily
replaced by "#57". (The reason for this I was told was that Hagerty
wouldn't fly.)
7. Is Lee Ranaldo THAT noticeably greater than Thurston Moore?
8. I think Ira Kaplan belongs on this list much more than on the 'greatest
male singers' one.
9. MIA: Richard Thompson, Ron Asheton/James WIlliamson, Fred 'Sonic'
Smith/Wayne Kramer, Johnny Thunders (!!), Richard Lloyd, Tony Iommi (not a
great fast player or an especially tasteful, soulful, or clever one--but
what a SOUND!), Rick Rizzo, Neil Young, Zoot Horn Rollo, Dr. Know, D.Boon,
yadda yadda yadda. Can't please everybody, I know.
10. Craig Chaquico??!????

(Note: I am not taking any of this very seriously. Listmaking is an odd
compulsion, and the drive to respond to it even stranger. At least this one
is good'n'quirky and probably not the result of a guitar-geek magazine
committee meeting.)

monica