Re: (TV) Arthur Lee

Jeffrey Germaine wrote:
> Be honest now. You mean to tell me that drugs,etc. have little or no bearing
> on the "craft" of such folks as Thunders & Hell? Gimme a break!!
> Those two were nothing but a walkin' talkin' drugstore!!

It has a *lot* to do with their music.  How many other songs capture the
sheer angst and desperation of youth as well as "Blank Generation?"  In
order to capture that feeling, Hell must have felt it.  If he'd been a happy,
well-adjusted lad, we'd never have had that song.  Is it not worth listening
to because it was written by a junky?  Should I not read any WSBurroughs
because of his addictions?

These pieces of art are compelling to me because they convey the horror
of feeling helpless, unable to control their own lives.  I couldn't possibly
write something like that because I've never been that close to the edge
myself.

I don't "love the addiction," as you seem to think I do.  It's with horror
that I see people constantly flirt with that edge, ready to tumble into the
abyss at any moment.  Of the emotions that come into play, there's sorrow,
pity and a bit of revulsion at some primal level.  Scorn and contempt
aren't among them.

I cannot separate the work of someone like WSB or Arthur Lee from their
addictions.  It is a part of them, for better or worse.  Of course one
hopes that anyone can overcome an addiction, but no one can do that
except the addict.  Many succeed, many fail.  It's generally none of my
business unless the addict has asked me to become involved, or has coerced
me into involvement.  (I have a looong Jaco Pastorius story that illustrates
how people get sucked into an addict's orbit.  Some other time.)

The terse "Fuckin' junkie" response we've seen repeatedly focuses on
one aspect of an artist - that inability to control the addiction - and
leaves no room for discussion of the artist or the work.  It's a sordid,
dirty part of the whole, but only part.