Re: (TV) Re: The Beat Generation

Agree - in fact, I kind of appreciated "Blank Generation" more after hearing
"Beat Generation", just like I appreciated the Who's "My Generation" more after
hearing Generation X's "Your Generation" (and vice versa, I'll admit).

But I definitely think there's a fine line between rip-off and artistic nod.
E.g., the Beach Boys "Don't Worry Baby" is clearly a nod to the
Ronnettes/Spector's "Be My Baby", but I wouldn't call that a rip-off, while
Brian Wilson's "Little Children" *is* a rip-off of "Mountain of Love". I'm not
sure what denotes the line, but as a famous US Justice once said about
pornography, "I know it when I see it."

--Philip