Re: (TV) Jazz

Jay--

Your brother probably has all the Monk, Coltrane, and Miles he could ever need, right? If not, Monk's _Brilliant Corners_ has always been a favorite of mine, although anything from the Riverside years is fantastic. (_Thelonious Alone_ is a fine one, but the complete Riverside box has all the alternate takes of "'Round Midnight." Maybe the reissue does, too.)

I'll stop myself from listing stuff he probably has. Charlie Haden (from Ornette Coleman's classic quartet) did a fantastic duet album with Hampton Hawes called _As Long As There's Music_. Mellow and Moving. Although Haden's mellowed progressively over the years,

Rahsaan Roland Kirk did some fine work with three saxes at once, a one-man horn section. _We Free Kings_ is a great introduction, and his stuff goes farther out from there. I've heard of a fine box set of the later years, called something like _Dog Years in the Fourth Ring_. Haven't heard it myself, though.

In another Ornette reference, John Zorn's Spy vs. Spy is an experiment in playing Ornette tunes in a sort of hardcore style, quadruple time with two drummers, a boatload of other musicians, and himself and Tim Berne on alto. Which brings us to...

Tim Berne's Paraphrase is a great improv trio with two releases on Tim's Screwgun label (http://www.screwgunrecords.com/). I generally prefer the first one, _Visitation Rites_, although _Please Advise_ is good, too. Lately I've been way into the ambling noirishness of _Ornery People_, a duet CD with Michael Formanek on bass (on Little Brother records, but available from Screwgun). For all of these, though, your brother would have to like free improv. Berne's group Bloodcount has a great reputation, too, but I haven't gotten hold of any yet. (I may succumb today, since there's a great jazz store a few doors up.)

Going back to Zorn, how about any of the Masada releases, which is Zorn's post-Klezmer quartet with Dave Douglas, Joey Baron, and Greg Cohen (yep, the same one that's been in Tom Waits's band). I've vastly enjoyed _Beth_, but the various live ones are reputed to smoke. I saw them live about four years ago, and they tore the roof off the sucker.

Hope this helps somewhat,
Maurice