(TV) Cute Mitch Ryder Story

One of my pleasures during the summer months is to try to squeeze in as many
free NY/Long Island outdoor concerts as I can.  I?ll see just about anything,
so it?s only an added bonus when a bill as deliciously absurd as last summer?s
Mitch Ryder / Gary Lewis and the Playboys arrived at, in this case, L.I.?s
Syosset Woodbury Park.  Mitch is no spring chicken these days, but he still
performed a spirited set.

To set the scene, imagine thousands of lawn chairs filled with senior
citizens, soccer moms and their noisy kids, and me, all watching in stunned
disbelief as this Detroit legend does his best to rock the house.  About
halfway through the set, completely out-of-breath after a run-through of yet
another of his uptempo hits, he looked skyward and asked the creator why he
couldn?t have been granted a hit ballad!

In that Lou Reed documentary that played on PBS about a year ago, there were a
few tantalizing seconds of professional-looking footage from the R'n'R Animal
show.  Does anyone know if an entire performance was captured on film?

- Jeff Strell