Re: (TV) Marquee Moon

I agree with Michael -- for my money, Marquee Moon is just about the best
record in anybody's back catalog.  On the topic of Elektra, though, there were
a couple of boxed sets released in the mid-eighties that really show the
breadth of talent on the label.  I've got the one called "Elektrock"
(executive producer Lenny Kaye), and here's a handfull of the artists
represented: Holy Modal Rounders, Beefeaters (Byrds), Delaney and Bonnie,
Stalk-Forrest Group (pre-BOC), Nico, Butterfield Blues Band (with their
dual-guitar MM-prototype "East-West"), Incredible String Band, Love, Tim
Buckley, MC5, Stooges.  They had a real talent for picking superb but
non-commercially-viable artists, and passing on some superb,
commercially-viable ones (the aforementioned Byrds, BOC).  The Doors, I guess,
being the exception that proves the rule.

Now that it's at $10,100, I feel quite liberated from thinking about that darn
guitar.  The last few minutes of the auction are going to be fun to watch.

- Jeff Strell