From: AndrewMFC@aol.com [mailto:AndrewMFC@aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2000 8:26 AM
To: tv@obbard.com
Subject: (TV) issues (nonTV)

OK - I've got a question for y'all.  Backing tapes - friend or foe?
I just saw the Stereophonics and Charlatans (UK) last night and I got into a

row with a friend of mine.  It was our second time seeing the 'phonics in
the
last couple of months and at both shows they used backing tapes to embellish

their live sound.  We're talking not only Hammond B3 organ parts, but guitar

parts too -- even some lead guitar parts.  Now, I quite like the
Stereophonics -- I mean, they're not reinventing the wheel or anything, but
the songs are good and that VOICE!  But the use of the tapes was too
cavalier
for my taste --  I was truly disappointed.  My friend on the other hand was
not at all bothered.  He said I was a hypocrite, since I can enjoy acts like

Fatboy Slim or the Chemical Brothers where practically nothing is played
live.  He sees no difference.  I on the other hand believe that part of
being
a musician is playing your songs live, and that using tapes is dishonest.
If
you've recorded songs that for practical reasons can't be played live as
they
were in the studio, I say you should re-arrange the songs and play them
acoustically or something, or else not play certain songs at all.   This
argument went on for hours...
Any thoughts kids?
Just wondering,
Andrew