(TV) Kral comments

So I met up with Ivan and amongst other topics I managed to put
most of the questions to him. So I'll paraphrase rather than use the
exact words:

1) Record producers:
John Cale just let the band get on with it and set about capturing
the best performances.
Jack Douglas didn't understand the band and wasn't interested in
the more abstract things.
Jimmy Iovine wasn't actually in the studio much. He was doing
other things at the time. Shelley Yackus had more to do with
getting the sound of the album together.
Todd Rundgren was good.
Cale was definitely the best for the band.

2) Guitar duties:
Patti was the boss. To an extent what she said went. Ivan didn't
really care whether he played guitar or bass. He just enjoyed
playing. Lenny on the other hand really wanted to be a guitar player
and didn't want to play bass.

3) Why he's not involved in current activities:
Because he's not been asked. "Why hasn't she called me?" were
the exact words. I sensed some sadness there as I think he would
like to be involved. He's not too impressed with much of the
comeback material. "I hear the riff, or the bridge, but I don't hear
the song." He hasn't heard Gung Ho yet.

4) He enjoyed being in the studio with the guest musicians. Liked
both Verlaine and Lanier as musicians. Verlaine was much more
studied as a guitar player and much more distant as a person.
'Godspeed' is Patti, Kral & Lanier. Lanier was pretty easy to get on
with. Ivan was closer to and much friendlier with Richard Lloyd, who
he likes very much. In Ivan's words "He should have/could have
been a real star."

And I guess that's about it. We didn't get on to Plastic People for
some reason. I can ask him later, but I think he was out of
Czechoslovakia by this time and may not know much about them.

And of course Ivan has various Television live tapes from the early
days. Probably stuff which no-one else has.

Cliff