Re: (TV) Hitchcock

of course it's all in good cheer & this is exactly why i dig posting to this
list...
i haven't seriously ever attempted the cut-up method...i'm not a huge burroughs
fan, tho i have enjoyed the brion gysin stuff i've come across...& i'm a big fan
of dada/surrealism (tho i lean more toward the political/social engagement of
the dadaists), so i'm not arguing for some kinda apollonian clear light of
purpose/meaning.
verlaine's lyrics on "marquee moon" pull me in cos they straddle the line
betwixt abstraction (which if it goes too far can be simply impenetrable) &
realism (if we wanna break it down that essentially...apologies for the art
world cliches).
the warm hard details of those songs inform the more curious lines (i think
we've already discussed "life in the hive puckered up my night", which, while
it's part of a great song, ain't really too terrific a line), creating a vital
dialogue...AND most importantly; a narrative.
when i hear pavement or the worst of hitchcock or much of beefheart for that
matter, i'm lost....it's too personal, too inscrutable, nothing's compelling me
into that world, making me care bout what's happening....
& as old-fashioned (& perhaps moralistic) as this is gonna sound, i'm at a point
in my life where i NEED meaning....i'm tired of coy nihilism, artsy turnabout
where the words just dance for my delight but don't allow me to stay & dig in
deep: in short, i'm demanding meaning that speaks to the experiences we know as
love, work, heartbreak, EMOTIONAL veracity, etc...
& please don't take this as an attack on the enjoyment you may get outta cats
like malkmus, van vliet, et al....i just love the fact that this list gives me
(& everybody else) the opportunity to vent & sweat out this shit....
testimonial pause.