(TV) The Godlike genius of Scott Walker

I can't believe that you yanks are not more familiar with one of your finest
singers/vocalists..tut tut...albeit someone who has lived here in England
now since the 60's....go and buy either "Boychild' -a wonderful compilation
of SW's finest moments in songs-or "Scott 3" for the cream of the crop of
his solo stuff...some of the earlier Walker brothers material is great as
well- "make it easy on yourself" and "sun ain't gonna shine anymore"...tread
carefully though with the rest...

As for SW's music it's usually
big,epic,orchestral,windswept,literate,detailed,concise,cinematic,beautifull
y melancolic and fantastically moving and heart-rending - ....the man
himself is more than a bit of an enigma-a huge star in the 60's
here-eclipsing even the Beatles at one time-but a recluse more or less
since....most recent records are incredibly dark,troubled and erm completely
bonkers affairs though Bowie for one professes to actually like them-(bet he
doesn't listen to them THAT much)...

For anyone who likes Scott W. i also heartily recommend my friend Will's up
and coming band Cousteau -they are the closest thing to a younger Scott
singing the songs of Burt Bacharach you'll ever hear-an equally amazing
voice and a band bound to be huge by at least Christmas-the keyboard player
is so cool he plays trumpet at the same time as the piano-remember where you
read it first pop pickers!

What am i listening to? Papa M,Calexico and XTC latest two...as well as
playing and writing the best songs of my life....i feel good-i feel better
than James Brown .....