Re: (TV) prestige signings

At 11:20 AM +0100 7/26/00, Raymond wrote:
I'm sure Lou and Patti are thought of as "prestige" signings by their
respective record labels.This way they can continue to  kid themselves that
they are SO hip and cutting edge- i'm sure at the end of the day they care
little about how many units these artists are gonna shift-it's purely a
cosmetic/vanity exercise....

Good point, Ray. Didn't Tom once say something to the effect that the labels he'd been on considered him something of a token artist? I think this was in the 1987 _Musician_ interview....

Surprised that the brain is working this morning.

Now playing: Quicksilver Messenger Service, _Lost Gold and Silver_. Whoa. The star here is definitely John Cippolina's playing. Anyone know if Tom ever name-checked him? There's a definite tonal/touch resemblance, particularly in the sustaining and vibrato (though I'd say Cippolina's vibrato is more consistently, uh, "rubbery," not that that's a bad thing.)

--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/