Re: (TV) Tom as proto-Sting / Meltzer!

hey, meltzer's meltzer...he doesn't really dig the flamin groovies or the BOC all that much either...he was in on backing vocs on "tennage head", but only cos he was a notorious new york partier...he claims the groovies were "alright"...nothing more.
the cult he hates cos they've allegedly burned him on songwriting creds down the years (tho he annually makes a sweet lil chunk of cabbage from the royalties on "burnin' for you" ...he writ the lyrics).
he was pals with the dictators & introduced em to sandy pearlman, but he doesn't ever listen to their records.
judging from his rants, he listens almost exclusively to classic bop (mingus, coltrane, davis, et al), old blues (i did see him at a possumwhateverthefuck label showcase..the indie label resuscitating old black blues dudes by way of that gradstudentminstrelshowtwat john spencer...that's as close as meltzer comes to seeing live rock & roll of any stripe...i been begging him to come see my combo tear the house down & his inevitable response: "can i sit down somewhere there while yr playing?"
ummm...no, richard...it's a dirty rock club.)
& classical gunk.
he's disavowed most of his rock & roll past (including his close ties with BOC) & has spent the past few yrs attempting to be seen as a "serious" writer, not a lowly rock scribbler.
in that respect, yr right on, leo...he's a pretentious git who made his mark dabbling in the gutter (tho in his defense, he's lower middle class from rockaway, LI) & now he wants to be wm burroughs (i don't mean the junkie role).
at the same time he's obviosuly envious of the respect dudes like christgau & marcus (& in mori, mr. bangs) now wield..
thing is: meltzer's kinda right too.
christgau, marcus & ed ward & whomever, are academics who never really rocked & rolled emselves.
as cliched as it sounds, guys like meltzer & bangs lived in the peripheries of existence...they imagined their lives were as valid, adventurous & powerful as the rock cats they wrote about, fucked with, dismissed, hung with...
christgau's like yr sorta hip 8th grade teacher who you thought was the SHIT when you were in 8th grade, but later, after you'd taken some knocks, deserved & undeserved (hey, it's a cruel world), you realize he was also a chickenshit, who rarely, if ever, took the great leap outwards...doing things by, for & to, hisself....(ivory tower, i guess).
let's put it this way...i'd rather get drunk & hang with...hell, be friends with... meltzer than christgau.
& that's saying ALOT.
& as for his verlaine/sting remark...it can infuriate if you let it, but it's just meltzer...he was jealous of verlaine too cos verlaine was more successful when on the make than our hero, richard.
who hasn't felt that kind of insecurity/frustration driven resentment before?
& at least, meltzer's funny.
nuff said.