Re: (TV) Who is Jaco Pastorius?

At 8:41 PM -0400 9/27/00, Henry17306@aol.com wrote:

Who is Jaco Pastorius? ... So what's this guy's history?

Off the top of my head, Jaco was an electric bass player who made a name for himself in Joni Mitchell's band in the 70s, and moved on to the fusion group Weather Report. Quite the virtuoso, probably the main player people think of when they think of fretless electric players. Fender sells a replica of his beat-up fretless Jazz bass. For all that, I'm not terribly familiar with his music.

He apparently tended toward erratic behavior, which was exacerbated by the usual chemicals. IIRC, he was beaten to death in 1987 by a nightclub bouncer he'd managed to provoke. (While I don't know the exact details, Joe's story gives you a pretty good picture of what the guy was capable of.)

Some Web pages:
http://www.jacop.net/ (run by his sons)
http://www.mowgli.net/jp.index2.html
http://www.duke.edu/~wongola/jaco.html