Re: (TV) Re: Intro to TV

Wow. There's a novel for you. I thought watching the subway series was NY
history! Now I gotta know who is the "rich guitarist?". My first exposure to
TV was listening to "Adventure" after junior high in my best friend's
basement, his older brother (my then-idol)'s album, along with the Sex
Pistols, the B-52's, Talking Heads' More Song, and the Kids Are Alright (the
Who were the penultimate band for me at the time. I remember being struck by
the Byrds-y jangly guitar chords of Days, Glory, Ain't That Nothing, and I
loved Tom's voice, which to me sounded kind of like Patti Smith to me with
an Elektra records-like sensibility (kind of like the sensibility of Strange
Days). In fact, I was so into the Doors then, I thought Tom's guitar was
kind of like Robby Kreiger!
Then, about the same time, I was giving guitar lesssons to an older guy in
my neighborhood who was a social freak, but nonetheless became kind of an
avatar for me, recognizing a kindred spirit in my guitar-sensibility and my
taste for the mod 60's. He introduced me to the NY Dolls, the Velvets, the
Stooges, Johnny Thunders "So Alone" LP, the Pretty Things, and more
significantly for me than for him, "Marquee Moon", which became a milestone
record for me, one that I played over and over and would play for my
stoned/hippy guitar-playing friends to convince them of the vitality of the
new music (read the deadness of arena rock). That and a trip to Bleeker
Bob's netting me my first 7", "Little Johnny Jewel" was my introduction.
Later, in college, I was lucky enough to meet and talk to Elvis Costello. I
told him that seeing him on "Saturday Night Live" and the inner sleeve
picture of "Marquee Moon" combined convinced me that I had to have a Fender
Jazzmaster. A choice I've never regretted, and contrary to what a lot of you
say regarding Jazzmasters, I find if the strings are good and the guitar is
properly set up at the bridge, it holds tune wonderfully, even when using
the whammy bar, which I do a lot, and I play the guitar hard. Go figure.
Scott