(TV) Landlord Update

I tried to stay in my East Village apartment but my landlord said
legally he couldn't accept rent from me because he filed a lawsuit to
evict me because I had allegedly allowed a bunch of homeless vagrants to
take over my apartment while I was out of town. I said "That didn't
happen!" He said "There's no way you can prove it didn't happen." I
called a tenant organization and they told me that my landlord would
probably bombard me with frivolous lawsuits until I surrender and move
out. So I told my landlord I wouldn't accept less than $30,000 to move.
He finally gave it to me in a certified check. Later, the building
superintendent told me the landlord said I was the "toughest negotiator"
he'd encountered. Most tenants in his forty buildings settle for $10,000
to leave. Because of these landlord buy-outs there's a high tenant
turnover and the rents and now nearly $2000 for a studio.