Re: (TV) Amazon.com

Now that my outgoing smtp server is back up, I belatedly join the Amazon thread...

Good points, everybody. I think with the tech downturn, employee/employer relations are changing. Before recently, people in the tech sector were willing to sacrifice, sacrifice, sacrifice for their employers when their stock prices were high enough that options could mean something. But now that so many tech employees' options are underwater (exercise price greater than the stock price)...they're realizing that there's no guarantee that their sacrifices will have any value. It's no accident that they're trying to unionize at Amazon now, as opposed to, say, a year ago. (I dunno--were employees trying to unionize Amazon before now? If so, there goes that theory...)

I was avoiding from Amazon because of the patent issue. The unionization issue hasn't made them look any prettier, and it always bugs me to see megastores drive out small businesses, either in a neighborhood or on the 'Net. B&N is indeed another one.

A few years ago, a Barnes & Noble plunked itself down in the middle of the pedestrian-friendly shopping district of my neighborhood. A few years before that, two Borders in other parts of the city. Over the next few years, we lost a number of small first-run mom & pop bookstores. There might be...oh, two left in the city as such.

Used bookstores, however, are prospering. Within a fifteen minute walk of my apartment, there's a great one that just opened, as well as two great independent coffee shops (and a Star*ucks I've never been in). There's a fine small jazz CD store, and a _massive_ exclusively-vinyl shop. (That's LPs, EPs, singles, and 78s--not fetish-vinyl...) A 10-minute drive will find more independent coffee shops, another great CD place, and more used book stores. Of course, this _is_ Pittsburgh, and the rents are lower than elsewhere, but people on the margins are making it work, when they've found a niche.

-Maurice

--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/